Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Touching Base in a Big Way

~

It's a whole new world.

My family and I have officially made the move. We're in a new house, in a new section of the state of Wisconsin, in a whole new mindframe. Things have been hella hectic these past couple of weeks, and as such I've not been around much. I hope you understand.

The work has suffered tremendously these past twenty days or so, and I'm finally to the point where I can catch my breath and readjust - so to speak. I'm using this new living situation to map out some new writing routines that will hopefully have me getting much more work done than my last ones. In the past, I was merely "getting the work done" on a semi-daily basis, with no real structure when it came to the time of day. Now, I'm in a situation where that'll change. 5:15 in the AM is the new start time, and the finish time is whenever those one to two thousand words are finished. Starting so early let's me get the ball rolling when the house is quiet, and will definitely put the hammer down on me to finish before the family gets up and going for the day. Starting right away in the morning will also keep me from staying up until three or four in the morning and being drained and dead throughout the next day.

Call me older. No, call me wiser.

At any rate, the work starts again tomorrow. The books are still on track, and I won't be doing - or not doing - anything on my end to hold up the publishing schedule.

Did I mention I have my own, private office on the main floor of our new house now? The only problem with it, as I've come to find out, is that I have too many books for the available shelving. What to do? Get rid of some books? Ha! Hardly. I'm looking into how best to build some permanent bookshelves into the walls. That'll be coming in the forseeable future. I haven't lived in an old (built circa 1902) house for a long time. Lot's of old woodwork. Hardwood floors. Lot's of nooks and crannies. Solid oak doors. Locks that only skeleton keys could touch. All the little accents that new houses lack. I'm digging it more and more.

Okay. Lot's to do, but I just wanted to check in to let you know that I'm not six feet under, and I'm not avoiding ya'll. I hope you're well. I'll talk to you soon.

1 comment:

Katelyn said...

Out of sheer curiosity, being a Wisconsinite myself, what section of Wisconsin have you moved to?

Also, your new house sounds like a dream. It also sounds like a perfect source of inspiration. When I write I like to dial in on a certain object and create a story sort of focused around that, whether it be a central or a more supplemental part of the story. That house sounds most excellent in that respect.