Friday, July 18, 2008

TO POV OR NOT TO POV

~

I was just sitting down to start writing for the evening and thought that I'd throw up a blog post before I get neck deep into the "mystery" book and forget all about it.

It's funny how I go through the days and something will occur to me and I'll think, "wow, now there's something I could write about on the blog," and then, of course, I sit down in front of the computer and forget all about what that said something was going to be...

I had hoped to hit the second Hellboy movie this week, but was bummed that it didn't quite fit into the Grandmaster's timetable. Of course, now I'm behind, and the Dark Knight comes out this weekend, and I'll be scratching my head wondering which one to see first...

The cover artwork for the new Metallica album, Death Magnetic, (check out Metallica.com to take a gander - it's pretty sweet!) was released today, as was the Kerrang! tune for the Iron Maiden tribute cd, Maiden Heaven. Metallica covered Remember Tomorrow, which I've put up at the end of this blog post - just because you're you!

To tell you the truth, I've been stalling a bit as of late when it comes to the stories in the "mystery" book. I know what the stories are about - as in I know what happens in them, ie. the sequence of events - the problem is that I've become a bit jaded with how they're being told...

Here we go. Here's a subject.

So often when writing a story - be it a short or a novel or whatever - the actual way to tell it becomes obvious. Whether it's in first person or second, whether it's from the point of view of the antagonist or protagonist, or whether its omniscient, all of that will usually make itself clear to me right from the get-go.

Now then. When doing a number of short stories that all sort of interact with one another, (like I'm doing with the 'mystery' book) in order to make them interesting as a collective unit, I've decided to break up the points of view from story to story. That sounds obvious, and yet... It almost seems like the more I think about the POV of the stories, the harder it is to pin down said POV. I've ended up second-guessing myself considerably, and have rewritten more than one of the them with a different POV just to see how it would play out.

Normally when you shake a story up like that, it offers a fresh perspective, and often gives you an easier time of conveying the events in a more interesting way; however, in a few of the tales I'm writing, there just doesn't seem any method that ends up as an absolutely perfect fit. Oh well - it's just a matter of figuring out what works and what doesn't. Speaking of... I should get back to it.

Here's that brand new Iron Maiden cover done by Metallica. Enjoy:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's your short story collection called?

Anonymous said...

Yes, sometimes it helps to stand back from something and take a completely new look at it to help see things in a new way. :)